Easy Homemade Chocolate Cake
Living in a pandemic has brought out the inner baker in me and my children, especially my youngest son. We enjoying baking together as a hobby and most of the time I like to share our creations with friends, family and neighbors. But during these unusual times of quarantine, and social distancing when we can’t readily deliver some homemade goodness, we are choosing to taste-test a variety of recipes so that we can share the best of our creations when the bans are lifted.
We have made a few chocolate cakes but this one is by far our favorite! I found other chocolate cake recipes to be either too decadent, too dry or overly buttery. However this recipe is neither of those and everything you would want in a chocolate cake! It’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without too much guilt. After all, if we’ve learned nothing else from this pandemic, it’s that life is too short and we should take time to enjoy the simple pleasures it offers.
You most likely already have all the ingredients in your pantry to make this delicious and easy homemade chocolate cake. If you don’t have buttermilk, which I personally never have or buy, you can always make your own, by adding some acid to your milk.
To Make Buttermilk: Combine 1 cup of milk (any kind) to 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and mix. Allow it to curdle (takes a few minutes) and mix when you’re ready to use it!
If you don’t have greek yogurt at home you can always substitute it with sour cream, which also helps make cakes moist and rich tasting. I personally prefer the greek yogurt because it’s a healthier and more wholesome alternative.
Persian Momma’s Easy Homemade Chocolate Cake
- 1 egg (room-temperature)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (room-temperature)
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (room-temperature)
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (melted and slightly cooled)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit and line a standard 9' x 5' loaf pan with parchment paper. Similarly you can prep your loaf pan with butter and flour to prevent sticking. I prefer parchment paper to reduce the amount of oil and a less messy pan.
- Mix all your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder) and whisk together or sift them.
- Beat the room-temperature butter and sugar until light and fluffy and then add your egg and vanilla and mix well to combine.
- Add half of the flour mixture to your wet ingredients
- In a separate bowl combine your buttermilk and yogurt and add this yogurt mixture to the cake batter and mix. Add the remaining flour mixture and stir well
- Fold in the melted chocolate. Make sure your melted chocolate has slightly cooled.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy! Noosheh jan konid (Bon apetit)