I think all moms can relate to this one! Momisms know no boundaries and are very similar in all languages 🙂 I will have most likely repeated at least half of those momisms in just a couple of hours 🙂 Enjoy.
If you’re anything like me, you don’t want to spend your whole day in the kitchen and you already feel like you are there too often for your liking. However, you also want to provide a well-balanced, nutritious, and khoshmazzeh (delicious) meal for your family, yourself included. So here’s a dish, guaranteed to satisfy everyone’s palette.
- 1 package of your favorite pasta (I chose the curly spiral ones because they are easy for kids to eat. Penne and elbow macaroni also work well)
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 lb of ground beef (preferably Organic for your own good)
- 3 tablespoons of Piaz daagh پياز داغ = Fried onions (This is a staple in every Persian household as it is the base of many dishes. It is basically onions sautéed in oil to golden perfection). I have a stash of frozen piaz daagh in my freezer. OR 1 chopped onion (sautéed to make piaz daagh)
- 3 tablespoons Turmeric
- Garlic (minced or powder)
- Heat a medium skillet and add piaz daagh, some olive oil, and the ground beef. Using a wooden spoon, break up the meat while cooking it. Add salt, pepper, garlic, and turmeric and allow to brown and fully cook.
- Add the pasta sauce to the meat mixture and allow to cook for another 5 minutes to soak up the flavors and reduce the liquid.
- Cook your pasta according to package directions and drain the water.
- Add the meat to your cooked pasta and set over the heat for another 5-10 minutes, and voila, dinner is served. Serve with a side salad and some yogurt and you have yourself a complete dish! Noosheh jaan نوش جان (Bon Appetit)
Note: You can always jazz this dish up if you’re not in a hurry by adding in some vegetables (like chopped mushrooms or peppers) before you cook the meat or by simply sprinkling some fresh parsley to the food.
I am so excited to be able to offer YOU my wonderful readers, through the generosity of Oznoz, a 20% discount on your entire shopping cart through Dec 29th! They offer books, movies, and products for bilingual children of all ages in multiple languages, our beloved Persian included.
Please visit their website.
Discount Code: Persian20
Offer Ends: Dec 29th
I assure you I get nothing out of this but the satisfaction of knowing that I was able to introduce a great website to you as well as haggle on your behalf for a discount 🙂
And if you’ve never seen Elmo speak Persian, well you’re in for a treat!
I don’t know of a universal Persian Alphabet Song such as the popular ABC song, but here’s one that I really liked because it’s sung to the popular Ode to Joy tune:
(Note: the first 50 seconds of this video are the Alefba song):
I will share more videos and resources that I think are useful soon!